Sunday, October 15, 2006

Consultant

Frequently you'll hear consultants referred to as consulticks. For good reason; sure they can provide a valuable service but there are numerous exceptions where the organization finds itself being sold a white elephant.

Jeff Harrell found a consultant who might or might not be a Liar McLiar - at any rate he seems to be talking out of his rear end regarding a Mac he purchased.

This article smells as fishy as last week’s halibut. Let’s start at the top. Bodine describes his Mac as a “Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz computer.” He then says that he paid $4,552.71 for it “on May 21, 2006.”

Go read - it won't take long and Harrell is always a good read.

Harrell focused on the inconsistencies (and isn't liar such an ugly word).  I found my own problems. with Bodine's account.

The signs of doom were there on day one, but I ignored them. I pretended that I liked the one button mouse.

Any mouse with the right plug works. I like my Logitech mouse just fine. Has a nifty scroll wheel and everything.

Doing a simple screen capture was an immense chore. On a PC you just press Alt and tap PrtScr. With the Mac I had to download and launch special programs to accomplish this simple task.

Or look in Utilities and lauch Grab. There is also a key combination that does this but I'd have to look that up.

I didn't even bother with the Mac's iCal or Mail, which required me to buy an @mac.com address

I've never had a @mac.com address and have been using iCal since day one, and Mail for a variety of accounts.

For me the killer was the Web browser. Safari simply cannot read Flash. It is, quite simply, a second-rate browser.

Hunh. I don't think I've had to do anything special to make Flash read in Safari - it just worked.

Now, yes, some of the above problems you'd have to know about or do a Google search to know about.

I realized it was time to unload the silvery box of frustration when I had to buy a "Dummies" book on how to operate it

Or buy a Dummies book and read it. Bodine might be smart as hell about marketing but I hope his clients - or the readers of Legal Technology - don't listen to him for computer advice.
blog comments powered by Disqus