Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ode to Muni Wi-Fi

An Ode to Municipal WiFi - inspired by Paul Kedrosky
Skepticism about municipal wifi is growing again, and this time it's more than just technologists and policy wonks. Now we have people inside recent roll-outs who aren't happy with the results, prices -- and I did I mention incumbent broadband providers are also responding?
The Muni Wi-Fi Song (With Apologies to The Simpsons)

Lyle Lanley: Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine,
Bona fide,
Monopolified,
Municipal
Wi-Fi!
What'd I say?

Ned Flanders: Wi-Fi!

Lyle Lanley: What's it called?

Patty+Selma: Wi-Fi!

Lyle Lanley: That's right! Wi-Fi!

[crowd chants `Wi-Fi' softly and rhythmically]

Miss Hoover: I hear those things are a luxury...

Lyle Lanley: Like telephones and cable TV.

Apu: Is there a chance taxes would escalate?

Lyle Lanley: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

Barney: What about us brain-dead slobs?

Lyle Lanley: You'll be given cushy jobs.

Abe: Were you sent here by the devil?

Lyle Lanley: No, good sir, I'm on the level.

Wiggum: The ring came off my pudding can.

Lyle Lanley: Take my pen knife, my good man.

I swear it's Springfield's only choice...
Throw up your hands and raise your voice!

All: Wi-Fi!

Lyle Lanley: What's it called?

All: Wi-Fi!

Lyle Lanley: Once again...

All: Wi-Fi!

Marge: But Main Street's still all cracked and broken...

Bart: Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!

All: Wi-Fi!
Wi-Fi!
Wi-Fi!

[big finish]

Wi-Fi!
blog comments powered by Disqus