Saturday, September 25, 2010

That is the point of encryption

From the Terminal Lance forums

My favorite trouble call is still
Her: "Oh HI! This is *the data chief at a unit I don't support, but my predecessor had a bad habit of wanting to help everyone so she keeps fucking calling even though I tell her I won't support her*
Me: "Hey SSgt, what's up?"
Her: "What happens if you forget your password to an encrypted file?"
Me: "You're fucked, SSgt"
Her: "Well, when you burn something, it becomes unencrypted, right?"
Me: "Only if you have the password."
Her: "Oh, well, my computer at home doesn't have GE, so if I take my HD there, the encryption will fall off, right?"
Me: "No."
Her: "What the fuck? Why do they make it so hard?"
Me: "It's kind of the entire point of encryption, SSgt."


blog comments powered by Disqus