Thursday, January 12, 2012

This is ...

the oddest and most interesting thing I've seen all week.

BaCon - A free Basic to C converter for Unix-based systems.

That it's written in Bash or Kornshell stopped me for a minute - but only because I'm used to thinking of bash as a tool I use to interact with a computer and not a programming language.

Come to think of it, I think of it this way even when I'm writing and using bash scripts.  Which is, hey, programming.  How about that.

Which is interesting because it's been real obvious for a few years now that the job of 'systems administrator' is changing from 'babysit a server' to 'write code that babysits a server'.

Times change.  Be nimble or find yourself on welfare. 

Think I'll setup BaCon and see how much BASIC I don't remember.


blog comments powered by Disqus