Thursday, July 19, 2007

RIP

It's a funny old place here and now. I have friends and acquaintances in our drive-past town (in a fly-over state) and I have friends and acquaintances 'elsewhere'. I work with people in a dozen timezones, some of whom I've never met in person. Some mis-guided souls claim that you can't have a genuine social life mediated by tubes and wires - you need physical contact for that.

This is belied by the way I felt when I heard this news a few days ago
My wife Martha and daughter Samantha were in a terrible head-on car crash on July 7. A car bearing three people veered out of the northbound left lane of Highway 89, crossed the center turn lane and left southbound lane, and struck my wife's car as it traveled in the right southbound lane. Martha was killed instantly. Samantha was in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Flagstaff Medical Center until today, when she was moved to a room in the Pediatrics Ward. She suffered two skull fractures, three fractures of her left arm, two fractures of her right leg, burns, and multiple lacerations and bruises.

I can imagine how David felt, typing that out. Numb, perhaps, but doing this as part of what a man has to do because .. well just because your world is ending doesn't absolve you of responsibilities.

Keep David and Samantha in your thoughts and prayers if so inclined. He is one of the good guys.

Martha Portree, Requiescat In Pace.
blog comments powered by Disqus