Thursday, August 09, 2007

Where did the 'h' come from? When?

The guy who taught my first Solaris administrator class - and this was a year or so after I joined the Dark - or the Light - side and started working with Unix - said that every so often he picked a command at random and read it's man page. He always found something new.

I just found about the '-h' switch. For human readable. For years - years - when parsing the output of df I've had to make the mental translation from Kb to Mb or Gb. It seems that I never had to go through all that.

briandunbar_natasha_~:df
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
(snip)
/dev/disk0s2 116884912 93871432 22757480 80% /

briandunbar_natasha_~:df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
(snip)
/dev/disk0s2 111G 90G 22G 80% /

Duh.
blog comments powered by Disqus