Sunday, May 14, 2006

Alligator

I don't know if I agree with Fred's conclusions vis-a-vis the trend termed multiculturism. It does make for interesting reading.
From the Washington Post: “Nearly half of the nation's children under 5 are racial or ethnic minorities, and the percentage is increasing mainly because the Hispanic population is growing so rapidly, according to a census
report released today.”

Now in newspaper parlance, “minorities” means “permanently underperforming and inassimilable minorities,” which is to say blacks, Latinos and, when anybody remembers, American Indians. It very seldom means successful minorities, such as Chinese, Greeks, white men, Jews, or Anglo-Saxons.

As we look forward to a massive slewing away from the dominance of European whites in America, what may we expect? What will these huge minority populations do? It is instructive to look at what they have done so far.

He goes on at entertaining if gloomy length describing various problems and ills, some of which he's seen first-hand. Nothing like first-hand experience to trump a slew of well-meaning intent. Then we get to what is - I feel - the nut of the piece
Another crucial question is this: If half the children today are of minorities, then in no more than eighteen years half the kids of college age will be. Unless they show a sudden scholarly afflatus which has not heretofore been in evidence, this means that soon the US will have to compete with China with the brains of only half the nation. This is not to mention secondary effects, such as enstupidating all schools to hide the failures of the minorities. Do you suppose that the Chinese are doing that?

Good question, Fred.

Conclusion: the United States as a viable country is doomed. I don't know if I agree but a) Fred doesn't have a dog in this fight, having absculated to Mexico and b) he's a sharp guy with a great deal of experience in places polite society fears to tread.

I'm still living here - I do have a dog in this fight. I've not lived as long as Fred, not kicked around the more dismal corners of the world. Which is to say I may be biased in ways the Fred is not, and unable to see forest for the trees. And too, I'm optimistic by nature.

I confess I'm not so very after reading that article.
blog comments powered by Disqus