Thursday, February 03, 2011

There is a hole in the bucket, dear Liza

My main computer has developed an annoying "bzz grind bbzzzzzz grind bzzzzz" noise under the keyboard. Bad fan? Failing hard drive? I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work. [1]

Just in case it's a worst-case scenario [2] I'm watching gigabytes of data slowly filter to an external hard drive and thinking a) I really should be in bed and b) I should have backed up more often.

[1] I work in IT, you'd think I would know. But, it's true: last time I touched a the inside of a laptop was 1999 and I didn't like dealing with the fiddly damned things when I was being paid to do it.


Take it to the shop? This booger is long out of warranty, it's depreciated, the cost of fixing it would not be economical.

[2] I've got options. At my left elbow is a laptop running a kissing cousin of OS X, FreeBSD. The Mac goes phht, I cuss a little, crank up the Thinkpad and I'm back in business.
blog comments powered by Disqus