Wednesday, December 06, 2006

In the line of fire

Smith [the company commander] did not have to order his Marines straight into the direction of the fire; it was a collective impulse - a phenomenon I would see again and again over the coming days. The idea that Marines are trained to break down doors, to seize beachheads and other territory, was an abstraction until I was there to experience it. Running into fire rather than seeking cover from it goes counter to every human survival instinct - trust me ... In one flash, as we charged across [the street] amid whistling incoming shots, I realized that they were not like me; they were Marines.

In the Line of Fire by Robert D. Kaplan



In memory of those who
Lived the good life
Fought the good fight
And made the ultimate sacrifice

May we never forget

via
blog comments powered by Disqus