Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dear Lazy Web: http load balancing

Dear Lazy Web,

I've got web servers and I want to load balance them. I know, I'll use a proxy server! [1]

I see two obvious choices: Squid and mod_proxy in Apahce2.

Just getting out and grubbing around in Google I don't see a whole lot of difference between the two. From my POV Squid is easier to install [2] but I'm not afraid to get down and recompile Apache if I must.

What is your verdict on using one over the other, Lazy Web?


[1] The obvious rejoinder: Now I have two problems!

[2] Solaris is the operating system of choice.  Apache2 and Squid are software packages [3] from Coolstack but Squid 'just works' and Apache would need to be re-compiled.

[3] Yes i'm lazy.  Compiling an application from source is fine if you gotta do it but having software Just Come as a package is handy.
blog comments powered by Disqus