Monday, March 15, 2010

Latter-Day Marines

Cory Doctorow watched a video of some guys speed assembling servers [1]

"It's like watching latter-day Marines..."

The phrase has been rattling around in my head all day. I'm still not sure what it means.

Marines in this year of our Lord 2010 are adept at field stripping computers and their rifles? Present-day Marines are are pudgy, near-sighted, nerds? The LDS is going to field a regiment of Marines? In the future Marines will eschew the Rifleman's Creed for a Bitslinger's Manifesto?

This is my laptop. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My computer is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My data, without me, is useless. Without crypto, I am useless. I must enter my code true. I will....


[1] If you think using a speed-assembled server is a good idea you have another think coming. Putting a rifle together quickly ... a rifle is a reasonably robust tool. You're supposed to be able to bang them around.

Slamming delicate circuit boards together is going to gain you anything except trouble down the road.



blog comments powered by Disqus