Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Somebody wake up Hicks

Opening night - first of two performances - went well. But that's not what I'm here to talk about.

It's being held at a cafe - the space hold about 40-50 people. Stage left and back is a wide hallway leading to the basement. The hall is lined with chairs, a large restaurant refrigerator, and actors penned up waiting to go on.

We're back there, waiting, about 30-40 minutes before the performance starts. And I'm sitting there. Nothing to do - I've gotten as ready as I can get: if I don't know my lines by now I'm not going to know them, reading the script going to be futile. No laptop, no cell phone.  I'm feeling dozy.  The nervous tension reminds me of something ... ah-ha!

You know the scene from Aliens? You know the one.  Colonial Marines are riding the dropship to the planet for a bug hunt. Things are tense, nervous chit-chat cross compartment and ...

Sergeant Apone: "Somebody wake up Hicks."

Yeah - it was a lot like that.

Not that I'm Hicks: I'm more of a Hudson than a Hicks.  But you know what I mean.

blog comments powered by Disqus