Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Intermittent Fasting

Steve Barnes writes about Intermittent Fasting, here. Read what he has to say, because I'm real new at it.

I did the IF regime for a week or so. Then I stopped for a month. This is why:

On what was my last day of fast I went to Wal Mart with my wife. I recall thinking that I was seeing with remarkable clarify of vision and I felt great. Except for that swimming feeling in my head. Which was the onset of a truly miserable bout of the ick.

I am not sure what 'rules' there are for fasting while sick as a dog. I'm weak and didn't even try.  Lots of stew and soup and fruit.  And orange juice. When I felt better I simply did not climb back on the wagon.  Because I am weak.


I'm picking it up again on Friday, after we make our next shopping trip.


My attempt at IF coincided with my wife's trip to Turkey.  You'd think it would be hard to fast while making yummy meals for one's nine-year old. And you would be right.  I caught myself staring ravenously at a friggin' peanut-butter and jelly sandwich once: it took a lot of will not to cram the entire thing into my mouth and wash it down with a gallon of milk.

However it's going to be even harder now that she is back because my wife is real good at the fine art of making yummy food out of anything that is at hand.  And this is with the lo-fat and no-salt regime imposed on heart attackees.


The benefits are worth it.  I felt sharper and more alert.  Perhaps I lost some weight.  I felt more on top of things, mentally.

Certainly no one ever died from imposing a little bit of order on one's life.

Hey, and speaking of order on one's life: I've nearly finished Dave Ramsey's 'Total Money Makeover'.  I am jazzed about starting that regime as well.

blog comments powered by Disqus