Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A nice robot phone is not an acceptable substitute for a future

Warren Ellis ... does he get out much?

I am writing this in the wake of the announcement -- entirely expected -- that US government funding for Nasa's human space flight initiatives has been canceled, and any American progress in that area will now be turned over to private enterprise. And if you think that this is a good idea, just ask yourself how reliable your local rail service has been since deregulation.

Pretty good, thanks for asking.

CN runs hundreds of freight cars between Green Bay and Chicago every day, right past my office window. Four airlines serve my 'regional county airport'. Last time I flew Government Air the seats were uncomfortable, ear plugs were mandatory because cabin was sure not sound proof, the in-flight meals were bologna sandwiches and fruit juice.[1]

Too bad for the lame opening - I strongly agree with his thesis

The single simplest reason why human space flight is necessary is this, stated as plainly as possible: keeping all your breeding pairs in one place is a retarded way to run a species.


[1] Let's not even mention the time my flight to Okinawa was canceled in Guam, leaving me and a few dozen other stranded until the next MAC flight two days later. Which took me to Korea where I caught another airplane to Kadena.

If the Air Force was going to leave me stranded, the least they could have done was to leave me stranded in Korea. Friggin' Guam.


Hat Tip.

blog comments powered by Disqus