Tuesday, March 25, 2008

What he said - Episcopal Church Edition

For complicated reasons I walked out on the Episcopal Church a few years ago. I'm able to go back - I've moved out of state, the priest has been fired [1] so there might be a sort of 'ollie-olllie-oxen-free' thing going on. But I have not gone back. Matthew has part of the reason why ..

How many people have to leave before our leadership acknowledges that there is a problem? How small can the Episcopal Church get and remain viable? If there is no physical resurrection, no life after death, no real theology or ethics or even morality other than “God won't fix in a box” then what reason is there for the Episcopal Church?


The Baptists have better sermons, the Methodists have much better music, the Catholics have better liturgy, the Orthodox have greater solemnity, and the Presbyterians just know what's going to happen. And all of them have Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour. So why be an Episcopalian? What do we have to offer that is valuable?

Between clown Eucharist and that stations of the cross thing, for the life of me I can't see a compelling reason why I should go back.


[1] and possibly had his collar revoked - one could hope so. Certainly his wife has divorced him for his shenanigans, why not the church?
blog comments powered by Disqus