Friday, January 02, 2009

No Recession For Me - text

Bob Peischel from Holton Sentivan + Gury was kind enough to send me the text of the 'Count Me In' monologue at No Recession For Me.

Foolish optimism, perhaps.  But it costs little to feel that way and gloomy dour pessimism is no way to go through life.

I am not suggesting you can will a recession away with a bad-ass attitude. But you can out-run it.

Three point plan.

One: what do you do? Do you make something? Make it better. Are you in a service industry? Then raise your game and do more without asking for more.

Two: if you are laid off or about to be laid-off, check our I'm-too-good-to-pump-gas-or-pour-coffee-attitude at the door and pump gas or pour coffee if that's all that's out there. Extra hours, hours you're not looking for work, try volunteering.

Three: if day-to-day economic news and screaming mi-mi's on cable TV are twisting your insides into little knots of CNB..C me dying here ... stop watching, stop reading - stop and go make your own good news.

So is this all just bullshit? No. This is the American way my friend .. and it's hard work, but it's worked before .. in times far more challenging than these.


If you'll excuse me, I'm off to make my own good news.
blog comments powered by Disqus