Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Because I am lame - a samba bleg

Because I am lame - a samba bleg

I've got a linux host.  I've got users running Windows XP who need access to about 3tb of data stashed at /opt/files.  Hey, I'll bet Samba can help! [1] [2]

Getting Samba up and running from source worked ok. And I can access it anon from the host itself. But Windows does not seem to understand the concept of 'anonymous' user and when I connect it insists that I gotta supply user credentials.

What the heck?

This is smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = na.company.com
server string = Fogbreak Samba Server
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
printcap name = /etc/printcap
dns proxy = No
add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
cups options = raw
guest account = nobody
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
browseable = No

[fogbreak]
comment = Fogbreak Application - Data Directory
path = /opt/files
read only = yes
public = yes
guest ok = yes
available = yes

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes
browseable = No


And LO I can anon access from the linux host ..

[root@hostname samba]# smbclient //hostname/fogbreak
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[NA.COMPANY.COM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.5-GIT-fb7af5c-test]
smb: \>


From the Windows host I have issues ..

H:\>net use m: \\hostname\fogbreak
The password or user name is invalid for \\hostname\fogbreak.

Enter the user name for 'hostname':



[1] I fully expect to have this fixed shortly - if only because I'm giving up and admitting I need help.
[2] And now I have two problems!
blog comments powered by Disqus