Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Turn off the tube

John Scalzi is asking if a writer should write about politics.  Unsurprisingly, the answer is 'yes'.  And so should every other person, regardless of their occupation.

And yes, it means that some people won’t buy my books. So what. I live
in a place where it will never come to this, but if I had to make the
choice between selling fiction and speaking my mind about politics, I
would speak my mind and not once regret the choice.

Which is okay - because John Scalzi is one literate mother-humper [1].  I may not agree with his politics but he lays them out in a rational, reasoned matter.  I buy - and will continue to buy - John Scalzi's fiction because his stories are pretty darn good.


And then we come to Steven Weber.  Who is, to be polite, a dipstick.

He's a crusty but benign, crafty but loquacious Washington vet who's
seen his share of triumph and tragedy; she's the spunky Alaskan spark
plug who's ignited the belch and buckshot crowd with her folksy,
no-muss approach to runnin' things and her belief that Adam walked with
Tyrannosaurus Rex. Something for everybody!

Belch and buckshot crowd?  That's not being literate, that's condesending.  It ain't funny.  Rational or reasoned?  Phht.

I'll buy Scalzi's work because he's good and, frankly, there aren't a whole lot of people producing literate SF like he does.

Steven Weber is an actor who can't write.  He really ought to remember that guys who can take direction and mouth other people's words are a dime-a-dozen.  It's hard to put down a John Scalzi novel, easy to turn off the TV.


[1] Sorry about the swears.

blog comments powered by Disqus