Saturday, October 10, 2009

Breakfast

Middle Daughter, [1] talking about me: He is so judgmental.

Example?

MD: Like ... he said that a twenty-five year old should have a better job [2] than working at Wendy's. And that if a guy goes to jail that's bad.

Monkeys, in Greek Chorus Mode: He's right!

Ah yes: I am raising them well.

She is right about the judgmental thing. It's a flaw, and I know it.

But she is focused on judgment to the exclusion of mercy and forgiveness.

Which reminded me of the great Lou Reed's "Beginning of a Great Adventure"

It might be fun to have a kid that I could kick around
Create in my own image like a god
I'd raise my own pallbearers to carry me to my grave
And keep me company when I'm a wizened toothless clod

Some gibbering old fool sitting all alone drooling on his shirt
Some senile old fart playing in the dirt
It might be fun to have a kid I could pass something on to
Something better than rage, pain, anger, and hurt

[1] She is 16.
[2] The fellow in question is not a manager, he's working the counter.

blog comments powered by Disqus