Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What cops would like the public to know

What cops would like the public to know

Every traffic stop could end in gunfire, but we have to be polite and professional until that time.

So what you're really saying is when you pull the trigger .. and for an undefined time after .. it's ok to be unprofessional?

Yes it’s true, cops usually don’t give other cops tickets. Think of it as an employee discount, perk or benefit. Other Cops are family and you wouldn’t give your brother a ticket if you were a cop either.
I don't have a brother. Let me imagine that I do .. mmm .. mom loved you best .. took my cookie .. stole my girlfriend ... ok yes I would give the bastard a ticket.


Kidding aside I was, for eight years, part of a family that drew members from across the country. We were so cool that guys would immigrate just to join. A cross between the Jesse James gang and the Knights of the Round Table, with plenty of nice guys, guys that meant nothing to me, some real butt heads and a sprinkling of dysfunctional weirdos. Just like a real family.

Once in a while it was in my power to give a fellow Marine a break - be it failing to notice breaking barracks regulations or a sloppy uniform or whatever. It was never a good idea; absent rules and regulations there is no order and without order you don't have Marines you have an armed mob.

What kind of policing can you have when the folks who are in charge of enforcement don't have to obey the rules?
blog comments powered by Disqus